Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Why Now?

As long as I can remember it has been my dream to adopt. I have grown up in a family where adoption is normal and something that we did. We have interacted with families who have adopted and I get excited when I meet people who have opened their hearts and homes to children who need a parent or parents.

Growing up my plan was to marry young and be a mom to a large family of both birth and adoptive children. I never pictured myself having a career or going to college really. But that is not how my life has unfolded. I went to college for 8 years (if you count my first year which was a bible program/mentorship program). Two years in Port Alberni, two years in Lethbridge and four years in Caronport. I have my business degree, disability and community rehabilitation diploma with credentials in FASD as well as my certificate in Human Services. I learned so much in my studies and it has brought me to the place where I am now.

A common thread in my life is that I always chose to have people with disabilities around me whether it is through my job, serving at camp, providing respite or spending time with my family. I am drawn to supporting families and people with disabilities. I feel it is the passion that God has given me. And put that with my belief that we are called to adopt and care for the orphans in the world around us...It's a decision that I knew I would make I just didn't know what the timing would be.

Over a year ago I was at a place where I was done school and I was starting my career and getting established on Vancouver Island. I was starting to connect with others and feeling the desire to start the adoption process. I tossed the idea around and started to talk to my family and friends about it. I thought of all the cons and then realized that they were self-centered and based around my comfort. I committed to praying seriously about it over the summer and I knew that by September 1st I would make my decision. God confirmed that I was heading in the right direction and started providing the funds to make the inital payment. On August 27th I sent in my application to adopt. I had taken the first step and paid my first $3000. I was committed to moving forward and there were times where I would sit in my room looking at the fees to come and feel like I couldn't do it...however God has provided each step and I am blown away. I know without a doubt that I am walking the right road right now. It is going to change my life forever but I am so excited for that to happen.


I am choosing to adopt as a single person because I want to be a mom and I believe that we are called to adopt and care for orphans.I can't bare the thought of living out the days of my life focused on me  while children are living and dying without knowing the love of a family.

 I want to be a Mom to a little guy who may need extra cheerleading in life.

 I want to use the gifts and talents I have been given to serve others; specially children with disabilities. I do know that somedays it is going to be really hard and I am going to wonder what I did but I think all parents must have days like that.

I know that he will cost alot of money and that my days of attending concerts and sewing the night aways will decrease but I am okay with this.

I know that my son will need me to advocate for him and that there will be days where I miss sleep but I know that I am getting the honour of raising a boy who will become a man and will have an opportunity to make a mark in the world.

I have the honour to become the mom to a little boy who doesn't know what it is to be loved and protected.

I have the honour of sharing Jesus with him.

I am so thankful that I have the honour to be on this journey. I do hope that one day God will bring a man into my life who will love me and my son and that we can serve together. I know that adoption and disabilities will always play a role in my life and so I know it is important that it is something he is passionate about as well. I trust God to lead in this area of my life as he has so far in my adoption journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment