Sunday, September 8, 2013

Why Bulgaria?

I want to say thank you for your love and support as I embark on this journey. I am so blessed to have so many friends and family who are willing to journey alongside of me.

Why have I chosen to adopt from Bulgaria?
There are many orphans in Bulgaria living in institutions who have no hope of a future outside their walls unless they are adopted. They do not have the opportunities that people with DS have in North America as they are not seen as having the ability to live full, meaningful lives but are "burdens" on their society.  Because of my age and single status there were only a handful of countries that I am able to adopt from. My brother Aiden and our friends daughter Sofie were both adopted from Bulgaria as well through media and blogs I have seen the faces of many children who need families.  I would like to share pictures and stories if four children who have been adopted from various orphanages/institutions in Bulgaria.

I hope that as people in Bulgaria interact with people who value children and people with disabilites that it will change their perspectives and that their will be a switch in their social systems.



Katie at 9.5 years and weighing 10 lbs 9oz when she was adopted
Katie Now!



Sophia now

Sophia at 4 years old


 

 The story of Sofie- the daughter of our friends




Sofie on the day they met her in Bulgaria
Sofie two years later
 My brother Aiden
My parents adopted Aiden four years ago this year. He was nine and is so thankful to be in Canada. Everyday he thanks our Mom and Dad " thank you for bringing me from Bulgaria to Canada-I love you".
 



Aiden the week that he joined his forever family!

Aiden and I this year! He brings so much joy to everyone he meets!
 

1 comment:

  1. I could hardly get through Katie's story without balling. This is an amazing thing you are doing. So happy for you :)

    ReplyDelete